Saturday 9 July 2011

Some things I miss about our old evangelical CofE church

Are the wonderful times we had at annual church holiday week away by the sea.
And listening to J John, who was usually a headline speaker, which was always a joy.

I met him a couple of times in the canteen and was very struck by him as someone who is entirely authentic and determinedly "ordinary" in the very best sense of the word. 
I got the impression that he really did enjoy meeting and getting to know people. whoever they were.
I remember that he  bothered to chat with and get to know the name of the old gentleman who used to check our name tags as we went into the canteen.


I like that he doesn't appear to have an "on stage" persona or any odd rhetorical devices or flourishes, like a "stage voice" . He speaks well, but in his own voice, and doesn't  emotionally manipulate the audience with tricks.
I remain hugely impressed by him and I really think he is a great advert for that part of the Church of England which is very vibrant and exciting and far,far from the moribund  image that seems to get touted around in the press ( and unfortunately in some catholic blogs too).

Watch this and I'm sure you'll agree.




This is an excerpt, or rather a number of excerpts from his  excellent series on the ten commandments.
"TEN":

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing The World: One Diaper At A Time.

The most important person on earth is a mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has buil...